Wednesday, October 1, 2008

School During School

Andy's woodworking school, is now up and running. We are past half way through our first week. Teaching my own students while Andy teaches his is proving challenging, but not impossible.

My job is to cook for the classes, a light breakfast of fruit and yogurt and fresh baked goods, and then a huge hot meal for lunch, plus occasional snacks and non-stop coffee. The way our house is set up, the kitchen is completely isolated from the rest of the world, so I can't just set the kids up where I am working (note: new kitchen countdown is on).

In adjusting to the new scheduling required, including me being very busy during the time that we have typically done school, I have had to get a little creative. Mind you, nothing I have done is terribly creative for a veteran home schooler, but we're talking about me here, folks, The Reluctant Home Educator.

Today, Tano and I listened to his chapter of Robinson Crusoe via audio book while we did the dishes together. Yesterday, the kids followed me around the yard as I watered my poor, neglected gardens, all the while discussing good poetry and brutal Vikings sweeping through English towns. Spanish consisted of the kids planning and rehearsing short conversations they could have with one of the woodworking students who is from Venezuela and speaks fluent Spanish.

It's different, but it is working.

The kids are also getting quite an education in the culinary arts and food service. They are meal planning and cooking and baking with me, learning to serve meals efficiently and attractively, and experiencing how much work it takes to clean up after big feasts. Plus, we are just learning how to work together well, like a team. It's good.

1 comment:

Mister Ed T said...

Excellent, they are getting a well ballanced education!